2015年7月16日木曜日

My lighthearted daily life with Haiku in English

Recently I have learnt to compose Haiku (Japanese traditional short poem) in English.
In Japan, students learn about Haiku in Koten (studies of Japanese traditional literature and language) class at junior high school and high school.
I forget about how the classes like in my school days, but I guess at least I have studied about the famous Haiku poets, Matsuo Basho or Kobayashi Issa.

Including the school days, I had not been interested enough to Haiku and other traditional literature until recently, so I didn't know about them so much.
So, naturally I haven't composed any Haiku in my life before.
But since I saw the Haiku in English which composed by western people, all of a sudden I wanted to compose Haiku myself.
Because the Haiku by foreign language looked new and very attractive to me.

Haiku consists of 17 syllables.
Basically we have to compose it in 5-7-5 syllabic form.
Besides that, Kigo (the seasonal words) is required in Haiku.
However in English Haiku, it seems the rules are less strict than Japanese ones.

Each Kigo are defined by things from the four seasons in Japan, so if you would be strict to original Haiku rules, you have to have Saijiki (a catalog of seasonal words).
However I decided to start my Haiku life with easy way (or lazy way) at first.
I didn't get any Saijiki, and I won't be so strict to rules of Haiku.
I only pay attention to syllables and seasonal wards as I can.
With this way, I can enjoy my Haiku life without much difficulty.

Sometimes I suffer for my lack of the knowledge of seasonal words to compose Haiku, so maybe I will learn more of the words or get Saijiki.
Until that time, I would go on my Haiku life lightheartedly.

Your lightheartedness
Nobody judges you until
the end of our summer

B.M.




2 件のコメント:

  1. I think that you don't have to be so strict in rule of Haiku. 
    I believe the essence of season word is that it is an impressive image which can be shared authors and readers.

    返信削除
  2. Thank you for comment!
    I hope I will improve with current my way of Haiku.

    返信削除